Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Weight Loss

I'm curious about whether or not my weight loss will open up more acting doors for me. While I understand and am totally fine with not being a "leading man", I wonder if I will become more marketable or less limited due to my weight loss and what I continue to lose. I am a big guy. I played HS and College football and enjoy good food and drink.

Consequently, after college I weighed in at around 290 pounds. I think my all time high was 292. SR year of HS, 9 years ago I was 252, but rock solid. Today I am 265. I started working out 5-6 days a week November 1st 2009. So that brings my total weight loss to about 30 pounds. I'd like to lose another 40 or so. I started out just lifting and doing light cardio (eliptical) 5-6 days a week.

Then when I switched gyms I started hitting the free weights pretty hard, then I took up a boxing class. Ive been boxing since mid February. When that started I was 282, that's where the serious weight loss started. Prior to that I definitely noticed larger muscles and a bit of weight loss in the gut and face. Before starting to box I would run for 10-15 minutes on the treadmill and feel like I was gonna spew lunch all over Synergy gym. Yesterday, I ran for an hour at 4.5 speed. I attribute that to boxing.

Look. I have a good opinion of myself, but at the same time I have to be realistic about the business. No one wants a 300 lb dude hocking their product or playing a character that people will have to look at for an extended period of time. TV shows and the commercials that pay for them are all ultimately a product. You can't sell or market a product with a clunky jingle or a confusing message......this is the same way. After all, this is the same business that made a beautiful woman, America Ferrera, into an ugly girl. If that is what can pass as ugly in show business, then man oh man, do I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment