Thursday, June 17, 2010

What a thin margin of error!

Last night went OK.  There wasn't enough time to do the Shakespeare monologue, but I did perform the "Knocked Up" scene and the other scene from "One Life to Live".  Overall Steve was not totally pleased.  However, he and I were both pleased that I was able to see myself on camera and pick out tiny problems here and there.  And how tiny these problems are!  It is such a crazy small margin of error.

It does bring to light possible reasons why I haven't really gotten any legit work.  I've had a lot of call backs but nothing booked - which is eternally frustrating.

Such tiny mistakes are: on an opening line I did a bit too much with my right eyebrow.  I said the line, "Hello, Abby." In between the two words I raised my eyebrow a little bit - and that was too much too soon - especially when you consider that this shot was a close up (it was just my face).  There is a video demonstration at the end of this entry.

Weight loss related side note: I was very pleased with how I looked on camera, relatively speaking.  When we had camera class two months ago, it was a huge difference with how I looked.  That was about 15 pounds ago, after all.  On Tuesday I weighed in at 257, which is a massive accomplishment.  I was only 5 pounds lighter when I graduated HS, and I do have most of my strength back since then too!

OK that was more than a side note, ha.

Another tiny mistake was when I said the line "How's about we go inside and talk about it?"  I said it with a blend of sinister and sexual undertones. Not appropriate for the scene and the text in no way substantiates such choices.  I was a police officer asking a young woman questions at her door step about her involvement in an attempted murder.

The "Knocked Up" scene went a little bit better, perhaps because I was more loose, being the second time I went up there.  Steve gave me a nice tip: "Chorbatski, before you go up on camera....take a deep breath and relax, when you don't do that you are tense and when you are tense you aren't as effective as you could be."  OK I can do that.  My tiny mistake in this scene was I gave a question way too much weight/importance.  I did feel that the question needed weight/importance.  The question was asking if the two guys' wife and girlfriend would accept them again into their lives.  Seems big to me.  The line was "Do you think they'll take us back?"  Steve just wanted me to simply ask the question, like, in the same way that you would ask someone to pass the ketchup.  "Hey man, can ya pass the ketchup over here?"  Imagine how you would ask that question.  Got it?  Good.  Now ask it the same way but with these words: "Do you think they'll take us back?"

Ha.  Big difference eh?  Or rather....a tiny difference that makes all the difference in the world of the cast and the tragically uncast.

No comments:

Post a Comment