Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Choices equal call backs.

They also equal going down in flames. RIP "Goose". Monday I had an audition for "Cannon", the camera company.  It was for a trade show at the Javits Center in town. This wasn't for a regular trade show, like the boat expos that are open to the public for general consumption needs.  The audience was to be people in the industry.  News crews, production companies looking to upgrade their cameras etc.  I was to play an on-site news reporter. 

OK.  So I am supposed to play an on-site news reporter whose big story is about new camera technology brought to you by Cannon.  Keep in mind that this ENTIRE room would be filled with people who either shot news reporters on video, or edited the video, or synced up the audio of reporters.  These people know reporters.  So I made the choice that it would be TERRIBLE to do my best impression of a news reporter.  Because no matter how well I could pretend to be a reporter, it would no doubt appear to be genuinely.......fake to the room.  It would be so hamboned, so heavy fisted, so bizarrely fake......It would look like this to their eyes.


So I made a choice, I took a gamble.  I just spoke to the people in the room like they were my best friends.  I took it slow and read the heavy technical jargon.  There was no camera in the room, so I looked directly at the two people and just spoke to them. 

Callbacks were today.  I was not invited.  "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run."

No comments:

Post a Comment